Tips And Treats
Chiromancy or cheiromancy, (Greek cheir,hand; manteia, divination), is the art of characterization and foretelling the future through the study of the palm, also known as palmistry,palm-reading, or hand analysis. The practice is found all over the world, with numerous cultural variations.
Modern palmistry can trace its roots back to gypsy fortune tellers and Indian mystics, but often modern palmists combine traditional predictive techniques with psychology, holistic healing, and alternative methods of divination.
Last Updated -20th February2005
- Chiromancy consists of the practice of evaluating a person's character or future life by "reading" the palm of that person's hand. Various "lines" ("heart line", "lifeline", etc.) and "mounts" (bumps) purportedly suggest interpretations by their relative sizes, qualities, and intersections. In some traditions, readers also examine characteristics of the fingers, fingernails, fingerprints and palm skin patterns (dermatoglyphics), skin texture and color, shape of the palm, and flexibility of the hand.
- A reader usually begins by reading the person's 'dominant hand' (the hand he or she writes with or uses the most). In some traditions of palmistry, the other hand is believed to carry past-life or karmic information, as well as hereditary traits.
- The basic framework for "Classical" palmistry (the most widely taught and practiced tradition)is rooted in Greek mythology. Each area of the palm and fingers is related to a god or goddess, and the features of that area indicate the nature of the corresponding aspect of the subject. For example, the ring finger is associated with the Greek god Apollo; characteristics of the ring finger are tied to the subject's dealings with art, music, aesthetics, fame, and harmony.
Palmists look at three main lines: the heart line, the head line, and the life line.
- The heart line is the first of the major lines examined by a reader. It is found towards the top of the palm,under the fingers. In some traditions, the line is read as starting from the edge of the palm under the little finger and flowing across the palm towards the thumb;in others, it is seen as starting under the fingers and flowing toward the outside edge of the palm. This line is said to represent matters of the heart, both physical and metaphorical. Those who practice palmistry believe it can indicate emotional stability, romantic perspectives, depression, and stoicism, in addition to various aspects of cardiac health.
- The next line identified by palmists is the head line. This line starts at the edge of the palm under the pointer finger and flows across the palm towards the outside edge. Often, the head line is joined with the life line at inception.This line is said to represent the person's mind and the way it works, including learning style, communication style, intellectualism, and thirst for knowledge.It is also believed to indicate a preference for creative or analytical approaches to information (i.e., right brain or left brain).
- Finally, readers look at perhaps the most controversial line on the hand, the life line. This line extends from the edge of the palm above the thumb and travels in an arc towards the wrist. This line is believed to represent the person's vitality and vigor, physical health and general well being. The life line is also believed to reflect major life changes, including cataclysmic events, physical injuries, and re locations. Contrary to popular belief,modern palmists generally do not believe that the length of a person's life line is tied to the length of a person's life. Although there are methods used for calculating length of life handed down through many traditions, these are generally regarded as superstitious and not predictably accurate.
Other major lines or variations are:
- Asimian crease, or fusing of the heart and head lines, is believed by practitioners of palmistry to indicate that the person has no distinction between what is desired and what is thought, resulting in an intense nature with a tendency to rush into things.
- The fate line runs from the bottom of the palm near the wrist, up through the center of the palm towards the middle finger. This line is believed to be tied to the person's life path, including school and career choices, successes and obstacles.Sometimes this line is thought to reflect circumstances beyond the individual's control, or the person's choices and their consequences.
Other minor lines:
- Sun Line - parallel to the Fate Line, under the ring finger; believed to indicate fame or scandal
- Girdle of Venus - starts between the little and ring fingers, runs in a rough arc under the ring and middle fingers to end between the middle and pointer fingers; thought to relate to emotional intelligence and the ability to manipulate
- Union Lines - short horizontal lines found on the percussive edge of the palm between the Heart Line and the bottom of the little finger; believed to indicate close relationships, sometimes - but not always - romantic.
- Mercury Line - runs from the bottom of the palm near the wrist, up through the palm towards the little finger; purported to be an indicator of persistent health issues, business acumen, or skill in communication.
- Travel Lines -these are horizontal lines found on the percussive edge of the palm between the wrist and the heart line; each line is said to represent a trip taken by the subject- the longer the line, the more important the trip is to the subject.
- Other Markings - these include stars,crosses, triangles, squares, tridents, and rings under each of the fingers; their supposed impact and meaning varies by location on the palm and freedom from other interfering lines.
Additionally Palmist check the shape, Size, Texture and color of the Hands,Fingers
- Fire Hand - The fire hand has a long palm and short fingers. People with this shaped hand tend to be active, outgoing and often extroverts. They are excitable and emotional. They like to be in charge and control other people. There is always a large number of strong lines on the hands and usually whorl fingerprints. Fire handed people tend to have a lot of injuries and accidents.
- Earth Hand - People with an earth hand have square palms with short fingers. There are usually few lines and often arches on the fingertips. People with this hand don't like change. They tend to be slow in nature and have a strong affinity to nature and the bush. They are emotionally stable and make the best workers. Interesting is the fact that you often find successful artists and photographers with earth hands. Most people with trade jobs such as a carpenter have earth hands.
- Air Hand - The air hand has a square palm with long fingers.The lines tend to be thin and the prints are usually loops. They are good at talking and writing. They are cheerful and happy people who often end up working in the communication industry. They need constant intellectual stimulation and have a low boredom threshold.
- Water Hand - Water hand people have a palm that is rectangular with long fingers.The hand tends to have a large amount of fine lines. The prints are also usually loops. Many people with this hand make good poets and musicians. They also go well in the fashion and beauty industry. For people with this hand emotions are more important than reason.
Index Finger - A long index finger shows self confidence and awareness. The owner is sure of their ability. People with this finger are keen on advancement. They like to be in charge and have their own way. They are capable and do well being in charge of a crisis situation. For people with a short index finger the reverse holds true. They are usually shy, afraid they will fail and inclined to have self doubt. People with a curved index finger are collectors and often have many hobbies.
- Middle Finger - If the middle finger is long it indicates a person who treats life very seriously. They believe strongly in getting ahead. People with short middle fingers are careless and generally prefer not to work Most people tend to have a middle sized middle finger, meaning they are somewhere in between.
- Ring Finger - If the ring finger is long the person will have a creative nature. They will go well in the field of art or fashion design. Sometimes this long ring finger is associated with people who have a gambling problem. Short ring fingers are extremely rare.
- Little Finger - People with long little fingers have a high I.Q. They make good writers and speakers and have a strong sex drive. A short little finger reveals emotional immaturity. If the little finger is low set it indicates the person as a child had a problem with one of their parents. In some cases it indicates they were a victim of child abuse. If the little finger sticks out from the hand it may indicate the person is involve din a relationship they do not want to be in.
- Finger Tip Shapes -
- Square Finger Tips : People who have these fingertips tend to be careful and methodical thinkers. These people take a rational view of life. However on the down side they tend to lack creativity.
- Pointed Finger Tips : These people have a sensitive and fragile personality. These finger tips are associated with artists, writers, poets and daydreamers.
- Conic Finger Tips: These people have a flexible disposition and make good negotiators. Emotional security is important for peace of mind.
- Spatulate Finger Tips: These are action people who tend to be dynamic thinkers. They are usually inventors, explorers and pioneers in new industrys.
- Finger Nails -
- Square: Easy going nature and an even temperament.
- Broad: A strong character with an explosive temper.
- Fan Shaped: Nails adopt this shape when the person has been suffering from long term stress.
- Almond: Gentle, kind people who are often daydreamers.
- Narrow: These people are cold and selfish.
- Vertical Ridges: May indicate rheumatic problems.
- Horizon Ridges: Dietary deficiencies.
- Dished: Chemical imbalance.
- Wraparound:May indicate respiratory problems.
- Overlarge Moons: May indicate an overactive thyroid problem.
- Red Nails: Indicate people who are impatient.
- Pale Nails: May indicate an iron deficiency.
- Finger Prints -
- Whorls: A person whose fingerprints are mainly whorls will be an individualistic, not just one of the crowd. These people are often very talented and are good at keeping secrets.
- Arch: A person with mostly arch fingerprints will be the suspicious type, never believing anything until it is proven. These people go well in trade work and are good, hard workers.
- Loops: Everyone gets on well with a person whose fingerprints are mainly loops. They have good communication skills and all round capability.
- Tented Arch: These people become deeply involved in everything that they do.
- Composite Print: This is a rare print. People with this have trouble making up their mind and are difficult to deal with.
- The Thumb -
- The thumb will show a persons drive and how they apply that.The more ordinary the thumb the more ordinary the person.
- There are two sections, the top which shows willpower and the bottom which shows just how much you will push to get what you want. Large thumbs show a strong personality.
- Small thumbs show the person is more gentle. Long, broad thumbs belong to people who push hard and succeed.
- Long, narrow thumbs belong to people who want to succeed but don't have the driving force. Small, broad thumbs belong to people who lack determination.
- Thumbs that have an exceptionally wide top belong to aggressive people. If the other applies and the top is very narrow it indicates a sign of weakness.
- A thick top joint shows a person who is blunt. The tapered tip shows a subtle way of doing things.
- A thumb that holds itself close to the side of the hand shows a stingy person. A thumb that sticks out indicates a carefree personality.
- The Palm Mounts - To see ifa mount is overlarge, well developed or lean you need to compare it to the other mounts in the hand.
- Mount of Jupiter: Located at the base of the index finger it represents your self worth. If you are confident the mount will be well rounded. If it covers a wide area it shows you are generous. If it is high it suggests bossiness.
- Mount of Saturn: Is found under the middle finger. A large mount indicates a gloomy attitude.
- Mars Positive:Is tucked into the crease of the thumb. Well developed it represents courage and a fighting spirit. If it is flat it indicates a cruel streak.
- Mount of Venus: Found at the base of the thumb. Heavily developed it shows a strong sex drive. Underdeveloped shows poor health.
- Mount of Neptune:Sits in the middle at the base of the palm. If it is well developed it shows a charismatic person.
- Mount of Apollo: Found at the base of the ring finger. A strongly developed mount indicates an interest in the arts.
- Mount of Mercury: Found at the base of the little finger. Being well developed indicates a warm, receptive nature. Underdeveloped shows a loner.
- Plain of Mars:Lies in the middle of the nine mounts. When overdeveloped it shows the person has a temper. Underdeveloped indicates a shy person.
- Mars Negative:Found on the outside edge between mercury and luna. If this is well developed it indicates staying power and a good ability to cope under pressure.
- Mount of Luna: Found in the bottom corner of the hand under the mars negative. Well developed it indicates psychic ability.
- Palm Loops -
- Loop of Humor: This is found between the Apollo and mercury fingers.Indicates a dry sense of humor.
- Loop of Vocation: This is found between the Saturn and Apollo fingers. Reveals a strong dedication to work.
- Rajah Loop: An extremely rare marking found between the Saturn and Jupiter fingers.It indicates that there was royal blood in your family history.
- Loop of Courage: Found in the thumb joint in indicates a person of great courage.
- Loop of Music: This loop sweeps in from the thumb edge onto the mount of Venus. People who have this are natural musicians.
- Loop of Inspiration: Rising from the wrist up the center of the palm it is often associated with poets.
- Loop of Nature: This loop lies across the mount of Luna. People with this loop have a strong connection to animals and nature.
- Loop of Water: Flows down towards the Luna mount. Indicates a strong affinity to water.
- Joints and Knuckles -
- Smooth knuckles are found on hands of people are very meticulous about their appearance and there home. People with uneven knuckles tend to have a more balanced and calm approach to life.
- People with smooth fingers are very receptive to information and their environment. Information is processed intuitively.
- When just only the bottom joints are pronounced the individual conducts their life in an orderly way.
- People with both top and bottom pronounced joints are referred to as philosophical thinkers. They tend to analyze information and think before they act.
- Finger Settings - Personality traits such as strength of character may be found from the way the fingers are set into the palm.
- People with evenly set fingers are rare but when found indicate confidence.These people always go on to be successful in life.
- An uneven setting indicates a person with a lack of self confidence, especially if the little finger is very low set.
- A person with an arched setting will have a well balanced personality.
- Hair On the Hand - On most hands you will find little or no hair. Hair is most common on the back of mens hands. Usually the more hair, the more the physical strength. Color of the hair is important.
- A profusely hairy hand is often found on men with a high sex drive.
- They also tend to over eat, and often in times of crisis will revert to their animal instincts.
- When the hair on the back of the hand is sparce, fine and thin, it indicates people with lack of vigor.
- They often tend to suffer from nervous problems.
- Although on the good side, people with less hair are more diplomatic.
- Texture of Skin - The skin texture on the hand shows the persons natural refinements.
- If the texture is soft and delicate it will indicate a refined and sensitive person.
- Transparent skin is found on saintly type people.
- Thin skin is found on the hands of overly sensitive people.
- Often those with thick skin are stubborn and insensitive.
- Coarse skin is found on the hands of earthy people.
- People with a satin, smooth type skin are very artistic and often have a love of nature.
- Color of Skin - The health of a person is often indicated by the color of their hands.
- Dead white hands often indicate a lack of circulation.
- Pink hands are usually a sign of good health.
- Red hands may indicate high blood pressure.
- Blue-ish hands indicate a sluggish condition of the circulation of the blood supply.
- The normal color of the palm should be rosy and pinkish.
- Flexibility of the Hand - The degree of flexibility in your hand indicates your emotional and mental health. In short, a flexible hand, a flexible mind, a stiff hand, a stiff mind.
- Emotionally, those people with limber hands adjust well to their environment.
- Stiff hands indicate those who have a rigid outlook on life.
- A flexible hand that can bend backwards in a graceful arch indicates a mind that can respond quickly.
- These people can act, think and feel all at once.
- A moderate flexible hand is the most common.
- People with this type of hand tend to be balanced and in control of themselves.
- An extremely flexible hand indicates a person who is easily led by others.
- A firm type of hand indicates a strong type of person.
- These people are conservative with their money and feelings.
- Hand Size -The size of the hand can be important in in helping to judge the character and personality.
- People with small hands have a strong desire to achieve.
- They usually set long range goals in their life.
- They sometimes have a big ego and have trouble relaxing.
- People with medium hands are well balanced and have good judgment.
- They have common sense and are practical.
- People with large hands have many capability`s.
- They can have many goals, all at the same time.
- They are friendly and very sociable.
Disclaimer: The Palmistry Tips / Information presented and opinions expressed herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of TipsAndTreats.com and/or its partners.
© Tips And Treats. An Information Based Website (2005-2018)