Tips And Treats
Obese Fashion Tips
Dress Yourself Slim. Obsessing over your weight and dieting like crazy aren't the only ways to make yourself look slimmer. No matter what size you are, the type of clothing you choose is going to make a huge impact on how your body looks.
Choosing the right clothing can make you look lean, svelte, and 10lbs slimmer. However, at the same time certain pieces can also make you look bigger than you really are. Follow the tips below to find out which styles suit your body the best...
Last Updated - 17th October 2005
Fashion Tips for The Obese
- The most common mistake women make is to assume that larger clothing will hide bulges. The unfortunate truth is that wearing wide leg pants and baggy shirts actually makes a woman look bigger than she actually is. You never want to add excess width to your body.
- Toss those baggy T shirts out as well. Always go for a baby doll style shirt, which is cinched slightly at the waist, and doesnt bag on the sides. If you want your waist to appear longer and slimmer, choose a top that extends past the top of your jeans, and stops below the hips.
- Stick to thicker, more substantial fabrics and stay away from anything stretchy. These types of fabrics tend to be unforgiving, and accentuate bulges instead of hiding them.
- When it comes to dressing for work, tailored clothing is definitely the way to go. Not only does it look sharper and more professional, its also much more flattering. If you find a great coat or blazer, its always a good idea to take it to a tailor yourself.
- Dressing from the inside out is extremely important. Good supportive undergarments make a huge difference on how you appear in your clothing. The most important thing is to get a good, supportive bra. Have yourself measured at a lingerie store so you know exactly what size you are (keep in mind, the majority of women wear the wrong bra size). Pick up a bra with uplift to give you maximum support.
- Also, make sure your bra is not to tight around the band. This can cause an emphasis on bulges, which can be seen through the clothing.
- To give yourself a smooth look underneath a dress or slacks, wear a shaper. Make sure to get one that starts underneath the bust and stops right above the knees, so the lines dont show through your clothing.
- When choosing a party dress or evening gown, look for one with small gathers across the middle area. This can hide any bulges, and gives you a curvy, feminine figure.
- We all know that dark colors make a person look thinner, but where is the fun in wearing black all the time? Have fun with colors. Dont be afraid of bold colors or even white pants (theyre actually quite flattering!).
- Look for tops and dresses with chevron patterns (which are V shaped graphics). These patterns can narrow out your waist when placed over the torso area.
- As most people know, horizontal stripes make you look wider. Go for vertical stripes, which make you look longer and thinner. This may not be the most fashion forward choice when it comes to tops, but its a great pattern for pants. They dont have to be bright bold colors; a simple pinstripe will give you a lean look.
- Instead of wearing a dress, or one solid color (unless its black), choose to break up your clothing pieces. Pair a patterned skirt with a matching top. This distracts the eye on focusing on your shape as a whole
- When dressing for evening, if you have little or no waist definition, try an empire style dress. Anything with plain, flat fabric around your torso area will rely upon the shape of your mid section. However, an empire dress will enhance the bust, and flow over the waistline.
- If you have thicker, shorter legs, stay away from cropped or Capri pants. These will only make your legs look shorter. Long pants lengthen your legs, and therefore make them look slimmer.
- A big no-no when it comes to dressing yourself slim, is wearing bright bold patterns. Any piece of clothing with a design like that on it will always make a person look larger.
- Many full figured women assume that a line skirt will fit their bodies better than a pencil skirt. This is untrue. A pencil skirt shows off curves in a natural shape.
- When deciding on a winter coat, stay away from double breasted jackets! These only make your stomach look thicker than it really is. A single breasted pea coat will make your curves look lovely.
- Slacks with pleats at the top are one of the biggest fashion faux pas. Not only are they unfashionable and unattractive, but they also give the illusion of a fuller stomach. There is no reason to add extra fabric to your mid section. Stick to a pair of slacks with a flat front.
- A pair of butt lifting jeans is a perfect way to make your backside look slimmer and more toned. High end Jean makers like Paige Denim and Seven for all Mankind include this in their design.
- Sparkly belts may be cute and trendy, but if you dont have a defined waist, the last thing you want to do is highlight that area. Wearing a bright colored, eye catching belt around the natural waist, or any pronounced area, will only expand that part of your body. Wear a dropped belt at an angle, especially one that ties at the end.
Disclaimer: The Obese Fashion Tips / Information presented and opinions expressed herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of Tips And Treats . com and/or its partners.
© Tips And Treats. An Information Based Website (2005-2018)