Tips And Treats
Proper Medication is an Important factor that will help you recover form any ailments you have.
The first rule of medications is to know why you need each drug before you use it.
Last Updated - 31st October 2005
LEARN THE FACTS
- What is the name of the medication?
- Why do you need the medication?
- How long does the medication take to work?
- How long will you need to take the medication?
- How and when do you take the medication?
- Are there any non-drug alternatives?
The following are basic guidelines for taking prescription and non-prescription medications:
- Use medications only if non-drug approaches are not working.
- Know the benefits and the side effects of a medication before you take it.
- Take the minimum effective dose.
- Never take a medication prescribed for someone else.
- Follow the prescription instructions exactly.
- Keep medications tightly capped in their original containers and store them as directed.
- Do not take medications in front of small children as children tend to mimic adults.
- Never refer to medication as "candy".
- Add a consumer's guide to medications to your home health library.
CONSIDER THE RISKS and BENEFITS
- How much will the medication help?
- What are the side effects or other risks?
- Could this medication interact with other medications that you are currently taking.
- How does this medication interact with any other non-prescription drugs you may take.
- Should you avoid any foods, alcohol or activities while taking this medication.
ASK ABOUT COSTS
- How much does the medication cost?
- Is a generic form of the medication available and appropriate for you?
- Is there another medication that will work that may be less expensive?
LET YOUR DOCTOR KNOW
- Your concerns about the medication.
- About all other medications you are taking (prescription and non-prescription).
- Any adverse reactions to the medication.
Disclaimer: The Medication Tips / Information presented and opinions expressed herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of Tips And Treats . com and/or its partners.
© Tips And Treats. An Information Based Website (2005-2018)