Tips And Treats
Medical Test Tips
Medical Tests are important tools, but they have limits. Be informed that medical tests have costs and risks as well as benefits.
No test can be done without your permission, and you have the right to refuse to have a test.
Last Updated - 31st October 2005
LEARN THE FACTS
- What is the name of the test?
- Why do you need the test?
- If the test is positive / negative, what will the doctor do?
- What could happen if you don't have the test?
CONSIDER THE RISKS vs. THE BENEFITS
- How accurate is the test?
- Is the test painful?
- What can go wrong?
- How will you feel after the test?
- Are there any other alternatives to the test that might be less risky?
ASK ABOUTH COSTS
- How much does the test cost?
- Is the test covered by your medical insurance?
- Is there a less expensive test that might give the same information?
LET YOUR DOCTOR KNOW
- Any concerns you have about the test.
- What you expect from the test.
- Any medications (prescription and nonprescription) you are taking.
- Whether you have any other medical conditions.
- Whether you have any allergies.
After the test, ask to review the results. If the results of the test are unexpected and the error rate of the test is high, consider redoing the test before basing further treatment on the results.
Disclaimer: The Medical Test Tips / Information presented and opinions expressed herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of Tips And Treats . com and/or its partners.
© Tips And Treats. An Information Based Website (2005-2017)