Tips And Treats
Home Improvement Tips
Making a House into a home takes a lot of planning. For a Good Living Home you need to follow these Home Improvement Tips which will keep your home comfortable and accident free.
Last Updated - 3rd October 2005
Kitchen : Store cookware near the range or cooktop. Store utensils in a drawer next to the range or cooktop, or in an attractive container on the counter; store all wooden spoons in one container and all stainless steel and plastic in another. Keep a spray bottle with a solution of 1 part bleach to 4 parts water, or an all-purpose spray cleaner, in the kitchen for sweeping after meals.
Bathroom : Stash a spray bottle with all-in-one window and surface cleaner and an extra roll of paper towels under each sink for surface cleanups.
Hall closet : Install storage bins with separate drawers for gloves, hats, and scarves. Stock up on stackable see-through plastic containers to store light bulbs, batteries, and emergency candles.
Laundry room : Hang the iron and ironing board on a wall caddy. Keep all laundry supplies together in a basket. Store sewing supplies in a container with multiple compartments. Find buttons quickly with a sewing-center book: Fill a three-ring binder with blank pages, and staple on the little envelopes of extra buttons and thread that come with clothing purchases. Note where the buttons belong under each envelope.
Cleaning Closet : Store all cleaning implements and products in one place for easy retrieval. A closet works fine, but if you have a laundry room or laundry corner, the space is ideal, because soiled or used cloths can go directly into the washing machine. Wherever you store cleaning supplies, keep them out of the reach of small children, even if you have only an occasional young visitor. Post daily, weekly, and monthly chores on a small bulletin board in the cleaning center.
To make your cleaning closed efficient, buy a wall rack to hang brooms, mops, and dustpans in one place. Use baskets, bins, and caddies to store products and supplies. Make sure all supplies are stored out of children's reach. Create a customized, computer-generated supply checklist. Make photocopies on colored paper to post in the cleaning center. When a product is running low, note it on the list before the next shopping trip.
- Clean paint brushes with alcohol which will dissolve most types of primers.
- Clean sanded surfaces with an alcohol damp rag before applying the finish.
- Remove old wax from floors by using a mix of 3 parts water to 1 part alcohol before applying a new wax layer.
- To save cleanup time on a paint job place paint brushes in aluminum foil and put them in the freezer. Defrost for around an hour before your ready to go.
- Keep a skin from forming in the paint can by placing a piece of aluminum foil in the can after use.
- To save cleanup time when using a paint roller line the tray with foil for a quick and easy cleanup.
- To cure squeaky floor boards try sprinkling powder ( baby or talcum) along the edges.
- Slip plastic bags over faucets to keep them paint free.
- Keep a couple small bags on hand to use in case the phone rings ( so you wont get paint on it.)
Disclaimer: The Home Improvement Tips / Information presented and opinions expressed herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of Tips And Treats . com and/or its partners.
© Tips And Treats. An Information Based Website (2005-2018)