Tips And Treats
Tips to Keep Your Heart Healthy
Heart attack and stroke are caused by atherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries, a relentless process that begins fairly early in life and becomes a little worse with every passing day.
A recent study of almost 3,000 people between the ages of 15 and 34 who have died showed that 100% of them already had atherosclerosis of the aorta, the main artery of the body, and 54% had pretty significant blockage of the heart arteries. Here are some tips to help you to have a healthy heart full of life:
Last Updated - 30th September 2005
- Choose fish. Cold-water fish which contain protective omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to reduce the risk of cardiovascular health problems. Among the best choices are wild salmon, sardines and herring.
- Get in your exercise. Aerobic activity helps maintain heart health. Walking is inexpensive and a popular way to stay fit ?? all it takes is a little motivation and a comfortable pair of shoes.
- Control waist size. Make sure you have more low-fat, high-fibre and low sugar foods than other types, and choose more low-fat and fat-free dressings, condiments, sauces and table spreads instead of full-fat ones.
- Take vitamin E, a well-known protective nutrient for the cardiovascular system
- Sleep Well - Research studies have linked sleep deprivation to blood pressure problems, depression and other factors that increase the risk of heart disease. Ayurveda considers sleep just as important as diet in maintaining health. Practice good bedtime habits: favor restful, calming activities as bedtime draws near to help disconnect the mind from the senses. Keep your bedroom clear of distractions: television, computers, other work-related material. Maintain a temperature that is comfortable. Stay away from stimulants in the evening. Go to bed by 10 PM. Early to bed and early to rise still works to keep you healthy and energetic through the day.
- Also consider taking CoQ10 and fish oil for their antioxidant and vessel protecting qualities.
- Get Smart About Smoking. Smoking is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease, but that risk can be reduced by stopping smoking at ANY age.
- Red wine contains antioxidants and flavonoids, and has been associated with heart protection.
- Heart disease is the number one killer of both men and women in the United States.
- Every 20 seconds, someone in the United States has a heart attack.
- One in four Americans has some form of heart disease.
- Every 34 seconds someone in the United States dies of heart disease.
- Heart disease takes more lives than the next seven leading causes of death combined.
The statistics are frightening : Yet, both modern medicine and ayurveda concur that there are things you can do every day to keep your heart healthy. Here are some suggestions to get you started. Pick one or two and start with those if you like, then add a couple more every few weeks until you are naturally living a heart-healthy lifestyle.
- You can have your chocolate and eat it too. Thant is, if it's dark chocolate. Pure dark chocolate contains a very high amount of catechins (a heart healthy antioxidant). Enjoy it with black grapes and wash it down with a beverage containing natural cocoa powder or tea, additional excellent sources of these heart healthy compounds.
- Have a hearty laugh. Very few things in life are better than a good laugh and it turns out that laughing heartily is good for the heart. Enjoy the lighter side of life with family and friends.
- Manage stress well. Be proactive and address issues as they arise. Try exercise such as yoga, which gives you both a mental and physical lift.
Medical experts believe that a healthy lifestyle and ongoing monitoring your heart health is the best preventive medicine. So, try some tips today!
Disclaimer: The Healthy Heart Tips / Information presented and opinions expressed herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of Tips And Treats . com and/or its partners.
© Tips And Treats. An Information Based Website (2005-2017)